SKILL DEVELOPMENT INITIATIVE
ON MODULAR EMPLOYABLE SKILL (MES)
To provide vocational training to school leavers, existing workers,
ITI graduates etc to improve their employability by optimally utilizing the infrastructure
available in Govt. Private Institutions and the industry. Existing skills of the
persons can also be tested and certified and certified under this scheme. Vocational
Training Provider (VTP) registered under SDI to impart training to students for
the courses having duration 60 hours to 900 hours approved by DGE&T/NCVT under
the SDIS as per the approved curricula. The VTP will structure the course schedule
as per the composition of the student requirements and availability of resources
at its premises.
Key feature of the scheme are:
- Demand driven short term training courses
based on Modular Employable Skills (MES) identified and decided in consultation
with Industry. MES is the ‘Minimum Skills Set’ which is sufficient for gainful employment
or self employment in the world of work.
- Central government facilitates and promotes training while
industry, private sector and state governments provide training to the persons
- Optimum utilization of existing infrastructure available to
make training cost effective.
- Flexible delivery mechanism (part time, weekends, full time,
on-site) to suit needs of various target groups.
- Different levels of programs (foundation, skill formation
and up gradation) to meet demands of various target groups of industry and commerce.
- The services of existing or retired faculty or guest faculty
are being utilized.
- Courses are available for persons having completed 5th standard
- Testing of skills of an individual acquired informally in
competency and issue of NCVT certification on qualifying it successfully.
- Testing of skills of trainees by independent assessing bodies,
including industry organizations such as FICCI, CII, etc. which do not involve in
training delivery, to ensure an impartial Assessment by the employer itself.
- Essence of the scheme is in the certification on vocational
training from the NCVT that is nationally and internationally recognized in world
of work in the Government (Center and State) as well as private sector.
- The SDI Scheme has the provision of reimbursement of Training
cost to the Vocational Training Providers. The amount for reimbursement has been
revised from @Rs 15 to @Rs 20 or @Rs25 per hour per trainee appearing for assessment
depending on type of course.
- The training cost would further be increased by Rs 2.5 per
hour per trainee at the begging of every financial year starting from 1st April
- No training fee and assessing fee will be charged from the
trainee under SDI Scheme.
- An entity while applying for the registration as vocational
training provider (VTP) under the scheme would not be required to give performance
Bank guarantee and application fees.
- An Incentive @ Rs 3000/ per placed trainee would be payable
under the Scheme to such VTP which are able to ensure wage employment to at least
70% trainees of a batch at a minimum salary of Rs 6000 per month within three months
of training and for a period of at least six months.
- In addition VTPs which assure at least 70% placement as indicated
above would be entitled to get advance up to 40% of the amount due against submission
of bank guarantee of amount at least equal or more than the advance sought.
- For further details of SDI/MES scheme, regarding implementation
manual, guidelines, VTP Selection, approved courses, VTP registration, etc, please
see the link below :-